Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 2: Marseille & St. Cyr-Sur-Mer

I had visited Marseille before in February, but the time the weather was much nicer. We found a little lunch spot so the fish-eaters could sample the region’s specialty, bouillabaisse, which is a fish stew. Sometimes more expensive really does mean better, and in this case, I think we should have splurged if we wanted a good fish meal. Kate did not have a great impression of the bouillabaisse, so we know for next time to spend a little more! I had a shrimp salad as my first course, and I forgot that when you order fish near the sea, it usually comes all put together. Therefore, I had my first experience of ripping of the head and the body of the shrimps…but the shrimps were so small, it almost didn’t seem worth all the work! Oh well. We climbed the giant hill to the cathedral that overlooks Marseille, and enjoyed the nice sea breeze after that workout!

Saint-Cyr-Sur Mer was a little town outside of Marseille where we stayed the second night of our trip. We were able to rent a little apartment for one night, which was located about 150 feet from the beach. When we got there in the late afternoon, the five of us pretty much dropped our stuff, put suits on, and headed to the sea to relax for a few hours. Since we had our own kitchen, we were able to save a few pennies and make dinner at home, along with drinking a few bottles of rosé, the region’s specialty. I do not mind rosé wine, however, I think it kind of just tastes like juice…not much to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment