Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 3: Cassis-St. Tropez-Nice

The next day we headed to Cassis, hearing it was a beautiful and quaint little town. We enjoyed the view of the sea and the beach from a little café on the port where we had breakfast and coffee. Since we went early in the morning, it was not too crowded in the area, so it was nice to just sit and take in the scenery. Walking through the streets, Cassis seems to be a great little town for sunbathing, boating, and shopping, and I hope to return someday.

After Cassis, we headed towards our next night’s stay in Nice, but stopping in St. Tropez at lunchtime. St. Tropez was a little bigger than Cassis, but definitely holding bigger boats (yachts). There were a lot more tourists there, as well. I did not get the feeling of so much glitz and glamour that I expected from St. Tropez, but perhaps if I was hanging out in the port on a giant yacht, sipping champagne and heading over to a private beach, I might feel differently.

Last stop of the day was Nice, a much larger seaside town. We drove by Cannes, where many celebrities were because it was the last day of the film festival, however we did not stop because it would have been way crowded and I forgot to bring my movie premiere tickets and ball gowns. Nice had more of a bigger city feel on the sea versus the previous small towns. We walked along the long promenade des anglais, and enjoyed the sunset on the sea. If I were to spend more time in Nice, I would rent a bike and ride all along this promenade because it was huge, and great for people watching. We had a great dinner in the vieux ville (old city part) in this big square full of umbrellas and tables at Chez Freddy. I ordered a “Daube à boeuf provençal,” which is a provençal beef stew dish. It was some of the best beef I have had in France, slow-cooked, falling apart on my plate with an amazing and rich gravy/sauce. Good thing we’ve been walking and climbing so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment