Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kisses and Classes

Word of the Day: "Gestion" = Management
Have a I learned much else today? Not really.

Today was the first day of classes...all in French. This morning was Management Strategique and this afternoon, Resources Humaines. I'd say I can understand about 60% of what they are saying if I am really concentrating. If I zone out for a moment, all is lost. I tried to make some jokes to the French guy sitting next to me and he just glared. Apparently I'm not so charming here...hopefully I can penetrate the French students' icy exteriors soon.

We have actually made friends with some of the undergraduate French students here, because they have a little welcome international students group. I'm becoming accustomed to the "bisous" (kisses) when greeting someone. Its very different kissing people every time you meet or see them. I'm still not sure about all the logistics of the gesture...do you still kiss someone even if you don't like them? What if they smell? :)

We have also made friends with the international kids, because we are all kind of the minority here. There's a mix of kids from South Carolina, Italy, Brazil, Mexico, Poland, Germany, Russia, and Spain. It's a pretty good group! We are doing a pot luck on Sunday...should be a good mix of cuisines!

Ciao for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment