Sunday, September 5, 2010

Park Life

"le parc:" the park (but in French you do not say the "c" at the end so it really just sounds like "le par-"

I engaged in one of my favorite activities in Clermont this afternoon-lounging in the park right by my apartment, called Jardin Lecoq. On a 75 degree and sunny Sunday, what better pastime to rest, recover, and rejuvenate for the week (and from the weekend) than lying on a blanket in the grass.  I took my journal with me to record some of my observations:

Today, I chose to put my blanket down in a more public spot than usual, in order to engage in some quality people watching. With almost everything closed on Sundays in France, the park is quite a hot spot. You will see the occasional jogger here and there, but the principle activity here is idling. I see people, young & old strolling, couples hand-in-hand, or lying together in the grass. Public displays of affection are appropriate in France, especially in park settings. Children are running about, after balls, after each other, sometimes parents running after them.

The park soundtrack has a consistent buzz of happy cries and laughter of the kids running around, accompanied by the steady stream and trickling of the fountain in the pond, the gentle strumming of a duo playing guitars next to me, and the bits of various conversations you catch around you.

I had closed my eyes for a little while and opened them to realize a little dog lying not but a few feet from me. I quickly realized her owners were near by and she had just been looking for a sun napping buddy.

The couple to my right are laying in what I would consider a long-term comfort love position. She on her stomach perusing a magazine, he with his head resting on her back, together forming a "T." There's a younger couple up the hill a bit basking in the sun, she on her back, he on his side facing here, extremities gracing each other. Less PDA action here, or maybe it is just too hot in the sun to engage in full-on cuddling.

A new addition to my soundtrack turns on, that of the techno beat music emitting from a cell phone of two tweener girls sitting to my left, along with their carefree sing-a-long. What once was a boom box on the shoulder of hipsters is now a smart phone simply held in hand. The tweener girls, hipsters in their own right with over-sized sunglasses, tube tops, and jangling jewelry. Jingle-jangle with every movement.

Now another young couple approaches, and assume a more appropriate French position, her sitting in front of him in an embrace, cigarette in hand, he kissing her neck.

Two young boys run by, their little brother falling behind, not by lack of energy, only due to his shorter legs. How funny is it to watch little kids run? They don't even think about it, I imagine they just want to get somewhere fast so they just pick up their feet and go. With the toddlers, just learning how to make their body work, it's almost more like a wobbling motion to get from A to B.

The shade of the tree I am using to shield myself from the sun continues to creep back as the sun moves further west--must move blanket again to avoid melting. This brings me closer to the guitar strumming, only a few feet away and now has turned from a duo to a trio. Lucky spot I chose-no singing, no other raucous, just gentle strumming. Must be titled "Sunday afternoon tune," for it fits so well.

Nearer to the pond, I can now see all the kids who enjoy gathering around the water, chasing after pigeons or feeding the wading ducks and swans. Two guys to my left are lying side by side, jean cuffs rolled up and shirts pulled up to expose stomachs to the sun. Gay? I could not tell you. Perhaps a quite acceptable and normal activity for heterosexual males in France. My gay-dar can just be thrown out the window here where men kiss each other upon greeting, carry purses, and sometimes sport tighter clothing than I.

I dozed for a moment to be awoken by a little girl who stumbled upon my leg. Must have lost control when wobbling while running. ha. Not more than 15 minutes has passed, and there are whole new groups of people around me to be observed.

Park life.

1 comment:

  1. When I was working in London, I used to do the same thing at St. James Park (or Green Park, now I can't remember) - but it was the BEST! I could not have described it a well as you do, though. Looking forward to Greece!

    ReplyDelete