Sunday, September 19, 2010

Swiss adventures

Matt & Allie coming to visit seemed like a long way away and then all of the sudden it was here!  Hands down one of the best few days I have had in the past couple of months!  First of all, it was so great to see Matt & Allie, family, and secondly, I absolutely love Switzerland!  Besides the fact that everything is ridiculously expensive there, it is absolutely beautiful--mountains and lakes, plus the culture is an interesting mix of the French, German, and Italian regions that make up the small country of Switzerland.  We started in in the west on the French side in Lausanne, and ventured to the middle in German Interlaken and its surrounding mountain towns.  I think Switzerland is one of my favorite places in Europe, and if I lived over here again, I think I would choose Switzerland.  (I could speak French, too, if I lived on the West side!). 

Although my trip started out a little rough, including France transportation strikes on the day I was supposed to travel, I made it work.  A colleague from work happened to be driving to Lyon the day I was supposed to train there, so I got a ride with him.  He had to go to the airport, so I was just going to catch the tram from the Lyon airport to the city, but of course the tram was not working.  After I already purchased a ticket, I had to find another way to get to the city!  I ended up taking a taxi with an Iranian girl, German girl, and Norwegian guy.  They all, of course, spoke English, so it was quite a diverse and interesting ride!  I stayed in a hotel in Lyon that night and took the train early the next morning to Lausanne.  When I arrived at the counter in the train station to pick up my already-purchased ticket, the man could not find it so I had to buy a new one and rush to my train with only 4 minutes to get there!  Luckily, I made it, and it was smooth sailing from there on out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment