Saturday, March 20, 2010

Le Jour de St. Patrick!

“La chance” Luck

“Vert” Green

“The Luck of the Irish” is not an oft-heard phrase here in France, as the holiday is not quite celebrated like it is in the U.S. (Although I am not sure Ireland even celebrates it like we do in the U.S.) The day before St. Patrick’s Day, I told all of my French friends that they had to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day. They didn’t get it. I told them if they did not wear green I would pinch them! I ended up doing a lot of pinching…you cannot say they were not warned! The only semblance of green spirit was found in the Irish pubs around town. The Irish pub is one thing I have found in pretty much every city I have visited.

Fortunately, Americans were in full force this week to celebrate St. Patty’s because there were 22 visiting KU MBAs in Clermont-Ferrand for a Spring Break study abroad trip. Kate, Chip, and I gathered the troops and went to a pub in C-F called, “The Ness.” We pretty much dominated the bar with our green shirts and hats, full pints of Guinness, the increasing decibel levels that can only arise from a rowdy group of Americans, and even a rendition of the “Rock Chalk” chant and KU Alma mater. The dean of faculty at my school, David Marker, is from KU, and his band, called “The Ugly Ducklings” was performing at the Ness; mostly American, old rock n’ roll songs, which was a pleasure. At midnight I was surprised with the whole pub singing Happy Birthday/Joyeux Anniversaire to me!

It was a great St. Patrick’s Day, and I celebrated the day by appreciating my good luck and fortune to be where I am and treasured the fact that I have some great friends and family both at home and in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment